In Fashion on
May 12, 2014

Mother Daughter Pedicures with Piggy Paint

I received samples to facilitate the following post.

I don’t need a full day to be recognized as a mom. I already have the greatest gift – my daughter. But regardless, I had a great Mother’s Day this year. We went to my husband’s softball game as a family, had professional mother-daughter photos taken, ate dinner with my husband’s family, and did mother daughter pedicures together.

Snacking at Softball Game

You may be saying to yourself, you painted your 21-month-old’s toenails? This was not a decision taken lightly and trust me, I wouldn’t paint them with just any nail polish knowing the toxins that are in most brands.

I first learned of Piggy Paint, a non-toxic, water-based nail polish, at Toy Fair New York last year. Created by a mom looking for a safer alternative for her daughters, Piggy Paint is kid-friendly, hypoallergenic, and virtually odorless. As I passed by the Piggy Paint product booth, I witnessed the “Styrofoam bowl” demonstration. It was eye-opening both as a woman and as a mom. When dabbing Piggy Paint on the bowl, the paint lay atop it, like one would hope. When dabbing a traditional solvent-based nail polish on the bowl, the paint started bubbling and began to disintegrate the Styrofoam!

“One day, my daughter dropped a glob of her solvent-based polish onto the foam plate we were working over,” recalls Piggy Paint founder Melanie Hurley. “Shortly after, the paint had ‘eaten’ through the plate. From that day on, I decided that any flammable substance that could cause foam to disintegrate was unacceptable for children’s fingernails.”

After seeing this first-hand, I felt more than comfortable doing mother daughter pedicures with Piggy Paint.

Mother Daughter PedicuresPiggy Paint comes in a variety of fun colors. It dries within minutes, is safe for pregnancy (it was fun to be able to paint my toes again!), can be removed from carpet (if cleaned promptly), and is a fun way for little girls and their moms to express themselves. It’s made in the US with non-flammable, natural ingredients and contains no formaldehyde, toluene, phthalates, bisphenol A (BPA), ethyl acetate or acetone.

For our piggies, Bear selected the Groovy Grape and I chose the Sea-quin, both from the from the Birthday Bash Gift Set. I’m not usually one to paint my tootsies blue, but it was a fun change for the spring (and it turns out it matches the doors of my daughter’s princess castle perfectly!). I felt “pretty and pregnant” as I spent Mother’s Day out and about with my family. Plus, it’s the perfect shade for my friend’s upcoming wedding (it’s the exact teal of my bridesmaid’s dress – T, if you’re reading this, I’m so happy I found this color!).

Piggy-Paint-Birthday-Party

Piggy-Paint-Colors

I just can’t get over how cute Bear’s little piggies look painted in purple. love that thanks to Piggy Paint, we could have a “girl’s beauty day,” even at a young age. Plus, a total positive for me, it’s super easy to remove. The polish doesn’t last as long as a solon manicure per se (think of the shelf-life of organic fruit vs. fruit filled with preservatives and hormones), but it’s great for temporary fun and lasts about a few days before it starts peeling off. I prefer it this way because it means that I don’t have to worry about the smell and chemicals of typical drugstore nail polish remover. If you’re looking for your manicure or pedicure to last longer, just prep your nails with the Basecoat and top the polish off with the Topcoat from the Make it Last Gift Set.

There is a candy store of Piggy Paint colors – everything from pastels and traditional red to bold neons and glitter! Save 15% off your next order at Piggypaint.com now through June 30, 2014 with the promo code piggypaint5 at checkout. Plus, be sure to enter to win a Little Miss Firecracker set now through May 27 here!

Ashley traded Prada for pacis in 2012 when she became a member of the elite club of motherhood. She is married to her high school sweetheart of nearly 15 years and together they have two toddlers – “Bear” and “Little Man.” She spends her days as a marketing professional and nights writing this blog. In her [not so] spare time, she enjoys reading trashy tabloids, large glasses of buttery chardonnay, and shopping clearance racks.
Previous Post Next Post

46 Comments

• Reply Barb Evatz

What a fun idea. I love the bonding between you and Bear. Reminds me of you and me. Glad you had such a wonderful Mother’s Day. Love you.

May 12, 2014 at 10:14 am
    • Reply Ashley

Thanks, mom! Reminds me of us too. Miss you!

May 12, 2014 at 3:07 pm
  • Reply Tori

Great post! I love pedis with my Mom and would love to someday do the same if I have a daughter. and I am SO excited that you found the perfect color for the dress! Yay!

May 12, 2014 at 11:37 am
    • Reply Ashley

Thanks, T. Having a daughter is just incredible. The bond is indescribable and it’s so cool to see it from a mom’s perspective now. Yes – me too! I’ll show you my tootsies on Saturday.

May 12, 2014 at 3:09 pm
  • Reply Sandra VanHoey

My granddaughters love getting their nails done and I love the fact that this is safe and such pretty colors they come in

May 13, 2014 at 6:20 am
  • Reply Ashley Dionne

This is so cute! Makes me wish I had a daughter!

May 13, 2014 at 9:58 am
  • Reply Samantha Herrmann

I can’t believe how harsh regular nail polishes are. Eating right through a plate! I wish more products were as safe as Piggy Paint!

May 13, 2014 at 11:05 am
  • Reply Alona Y

I love piggy paints, and I never realized that I could have worn them myself when I was pregnant! It’s great that they have so many colors to choose from.

May 13, 2014 at 2:29 pm
  • Reply Jeanna

My daughter loves getting her nails done, but now want’s to do it herself. This would be the perfect polish for her to use!

May 13, 2014 at 3:03 pm
  • Reply Natalie Brown

Hi! I love that this polish is made especially for little ones. Your daughter in absolutely precious! Thanks for this review!

May 13, 2014 at 7:33 pm
    • Reply Ashley

Thank you, Natalie! 🙂

May 14, 2014 at 11:36 am
  • Reply Jan Lee

I really want to get some of this nail polish for my great niece. Even tho she’s only two she loves to pretend to put on makeup when she sees her mom do it 🙂 I think she would love this nail polish!

May 13, 2014 at 9:58 pm
  • Reply Jessica Cali

This is the only thing that I paint my 1 year olds toenails with. I still won’t do her fingernails because she keeps them in her mouth but toenails are always done!

May 14, 2014 at 9:16 am
    • Reply Ashley

I’m the same way, Jessica! I just fear that they won’t be dry and she’ll shove her whole fist in there.

May 14, 2014 at 11:36 am
  • Reply Abigail

You’ve inspired me to try this with my almost 21 month old daughter! Love the groovy grape!

May 14, 2014 at 10:29 am
  • Reply Rebecca Parsons

My favorite thing about piggy paint is that they are safe. And the colors are just too cute!

May 14, 2014 at 6:46 pm
  • Reply Jessamine D.

My daughters, specially my 3 year old daughter, loves painting her nails! I’m sure she’ll love these and I love the colors. 🙂

May 14, 2014 at 7:05 pm
  • Reply courtney hennagir

I love that they have so many fun colors without all the yucky chemicals.I am going to buy some for my daughter and I! She will love it!

May 15, 2014 at 5:32 pm
  • Reply Maria B

I like that piggly polish is odorless abd love the color blue nailpolish on your toes.

May 15, 2014 at 10:07 pm
  • Reply Lesley M

My daughter is 8 weeks old, but I am super excited to have mani/pedis together! Love this fingernail polish!!

May 16, 2014 at 12:41 am
  • Reply June S.

They have some many pretty colors, I know a little four year old sweetie pie of mine that would love these pretty nail polishes.

May 18, 2014 at 4:46 pm
  • Reply Ali Goff

This looks like a great product. All the colors look amazing too.

May 18, 2014 at 10:18 pm
  • Reply Amanda Alvarado

My dd LOVES to have her nails painted and Piggy Paint is our favorite because it doesn’t wash off in water (well as long as we let it dry long enough! LOL) like some of the other safe polishes we have!

May 20, 2014 at 7:56 pm
  • Reply Sherry Compton

What a great and fun Mom/Daughter time! A fun experience laughing over painting and colors. I bet she felt like a princess and warmed your heart. So many colors….this really will lead to more bonding moments.

May 24, 2014 at 8:40 am
  • Reply Cassandra WM

We love Piggy Paint! Keeping my nails nicely painted has been the only I’ve been able to keep myself from biting my nails, which means my daughter has seen me paint them every week for her entire life. So of course she started wanting me to paint hers too very early on. Like you, though, I wasn’t about to use regular nail polish. My daughter has a habit of putting her hands in her mouth, and the strong smell of most polishes was enough to make me wary. I was so glad to find Piggy Paint! Now, we do our nails together every week and it’s the sweetest mother daughter bonding time. Great review!

May 25, 2014 at 1:55 pm
  • Reply robyn donnelly

This gives great information and insight about product. It does look cute.

May 26, 2014 at 10:13 pm
  • Reply Kortney Picker

I love painting my daughters nails, but I always wondered about the chemicals in regular nail polish! I would love this for my daughter!

May 26, 2014 at 10:31 pm
  • Reply Lisa Konieczke

My girls and I love to do each others nails! We have a great time and its good quality time together.

May 27, 2014 at 12:39 pm
  • Reply polly

I love Piggy Paint…even have t-shirt from their site from a couple of years ago.

May 27, 2014 at 6:22 pm
  • Reply laurie

these sound like great polish would love to try them

May 27, 2014 at 8:59 pm
  • Reply CJ Godfrey

What a great review! I was unfamiliar with Piggy Paint and I have decided it sounds like a wonderful product. I enjoy doing pedicures with my little girls.

May 27, 2014 at 9:21 pm
  • Reply prince squash racquets 2012

Today, I went to the beachfront with my children. I found a sea
    shell and gave it to my 4 year old daughter and said “You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear.” She placed the shell to her
    ear and screamed. There was a hermit crab inside and it pinched her ear.
    She never wants to go back! LoL I know this is entirely off topic but I had
    to tell someone!

August 26, 2014 at 10:12 pm
  • Reply gina

I went on Amazon and read some reviews as I was considering buying some for my 4.5 daughter who has been asking when she’ll be old enough to use polish…can you comment on why you think some people are saying that it doesn’t stay on and some people are also saying that it is tough to remove?

October 6, 2014 at 3:26 pm
  • Reply Jenny Frank

My little 5 year old niece would love to have this set of polish. Such a cute blog!

October 8, 2014 at 1:31 am
  • Reply Penni

Love that Piggy Paint is natural, non-flammable, and non-toxic!

October 10, 2014 at 3:27 am
  • Reply Kelly F

I love that these are eco friendly!! There are so many fun colors too! What a great gift for little girls too! 🙂

October 11, 2014 at 1:59 am
  • Reply Jennifer Hiles

It’s always bothered me when I send my kids to grandmas or sitters and they come home with painted nails from “regular” polish. Especially since kids tend to put their fingers in their mouths often. I really want to get some piggy paint and distribute it to everyone so they use that instead!

October 11, 2014 at 10:53 am
  • Reply Terri S.

Piggy paint sounds great for my 2 little granddaughters (sisters). I love that it is safe and non-toxic. They have many fun colors!

October 12, 2014 at 1:27 am
  • Reply samyra

It’s so shocking to know the carcinogens we are exposed to just to look pretty.

October 12, 2014 at 11:50 pm
  • Reply Julia Val

Look at how cute the two of you are! I would love to paint my daugther’s toes… too bad they are almost always covered these days… winter is coming! I’ll keep this in mind for next summer though 🙂

October 13, 2014 at 1:57 am
  • Reply Laura Wilson

I am planning to put some Piggy Paint in my daughter’s stocking this year!

October 15, 2014 at 11:28 pm
  • Reply Maria G.

How sweet! I wish I could’ve done this with my daughter….she just never liked the feel of nail polish and makeups.

October 16, 2014 at 2:05 am
  • Reply Amy Smith Homhouane

My daughter is six and loves anything that involves “being a princess”. For her birthday one year, her Aunt bought her some pink piggypaint. She loves it! It is some great stuff. I feel much more comfortable using it to paint her nails then average everyday polish. It seems to last without chipping for a decent amount of time as well.

October 19, 2014 at 7:08 am
  • Reply Michele Ash

I Absolutely Love the Piggy Paint!!! I love the fact that it’s safe to use on your children’s nails! Also, love that it’s water based and doesn’t have the “smell” that regular polish has! Also, when you are painting your children’s nails, it’s a great thing that after a few days it starts to peel off! This is a Terrific Product. Thanks for the review and the pictures! Michele 🙂

October 21, 2014 at 4:33 pm
  • Reply Allyse

So cute! I hope my 19 month old will sit still enough for me to try!

October 26, 2014 at 1:21 pm
  • Reply Anna Trumble

We LOVE Piggy Paints around here! I gave my daughter her first pedicure with these products when she was 10 weeks old. 🙂

October 31, 2014 at 12:33 am